Go Back   Vegan Represent > Vegan Represent > Products General
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
bluedawg
reprazents

Exclamation no more vegan birkenstocks!

i got an email from pangea and i thought i'd share it here, in case anyone would be interested in stocking up before they're gone forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by my email from pangea

The Last of the Birkenstocks!

Get Your Vegan Birkenstocks at Pangea Before They're Gone Forever!

We were disappointed to learn that Birkenstock and Birkis have stopped producing vegan sandals and clogs in the classic styles we know and love (with the birko-flor upper and cork footbed). So, we bought as much of their backstock as we could handle for our customers! Get yours before they're gone forever!

(Not all styles are available in all widths and colors. Sizes listed as backordered are gone for good, we're sad to say.)

Birkenstocks for you!
and here's a more detailed explanation of what's going down, courtesy of pangea:
Quote:
What happened to the vegan Birkenstocks?

We strongly support our customers letting mainstream companies know that there is a demand for vegan products. Before you contact Birkenstock, please read the following, or you may get a confusing response.

The vegan styles of Birkenstock sandals (birko-flor upper and synthetic-suede cork bottom) were originally made under the Birkenstock name. Over time, these styles were transitioned to the Birki's brand, which was one of many brands owned by the Birkenstock Company.

During a reorganization in the last year, the Birki's brand split from Birkenstock and is now an independent company. Both Birkenstock and Birki's discontinued the vegan styles with the birko-flor upper and synthetic-suede bottom. (The Iceland, Sicily, Riviera, and Woodby were the most popular.) Neither Birkenstock nor Birki's have revealed any plans to continue these traditional styles in vegan materials. Currently, Birkenstock does not carry any vegan styles, and the only vegan styles carried by Birki's have molded plastic bottoms, not the traditional cork bottoms that made their sandals and clogs so popular. Their shoes with birko-flor uppers will now have suede bottoms.

We were disappointed to learn that the Woodby, Iceland, Sicily, and Riviera would no longer be available, and we know that many of our customers are as well. We strongly encourage those who know and love these styles to contact Birkenstock and/or Birki's to let them know that there is demand for styles made from vegan materials.

Please let Birkenstock know that you would like to see their traditional styles in vegan materials by calling: 1-415-892-4200 (US) or emailing [email protected].

Please let Birki's know that you would like them to bring back the Iceland, Sicily, Riviera, and Woodby and other styles in all synthetic materials by calling:707-795-2475 (US) or emailing [email protected].
shop quickly if you're interested!
bluedawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
grog
lively up yourself

thanks bd! I just stocked up on 2 pair, even though my first choice in brown was out. these ought to last me a lifetime, counting the relatively new pair on my feet
Old 02-27-2006, 11:34 PM   #3
holidayatsea
Seedling

hahaha birckenstocks. hippies.

....but as long as you don't wear them with socks, you're still 100% ok in my book.
holidayatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #4
grog
lively up yourself

I only wear mine with socks when its cold or raining.

Vegan Hippies everywhere are weeping.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:51 PM   #5
Sonja
Hey Baby

stray from topic :)

Funny thing about me. I see no reason for people not to wear sandals with socks and can actually think of some common reasons for such a practice. With that said, I only practice such occasionally in my own home, as I fear the judgements of others. ...but gosh. Socks probably could have prevented some blisters in my past.

More on topic: I'm lacking funds right now, and I'm not generally willing to risk buying shoes without trying them on first (my feet have a short length, wide width, tall height thing happening that makes shoe shopping go less smoothly for me than it seems to for others), but I'm still searching for that perfect pair of sandals. Someone really should tell me if these are them.

Last edited by Sonja : 02-27-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:08 AM   #6
Miso Vegan
Reprazents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonja
More on topic: I'm lacking funds right now, and I'm not generally willing to risk buying shoes without trying them on first (my feet have a short length, wide width, tall height thing happening that makes shoe shopping go less smoothly for me than it seems to for others), but I'm still searching for that perfect pair of sandals. Someone really should tell me if these are them.
OK - I *think* you would like Birk sandals. But I'm not putting any money on it. If it helps, Footprints will accept Birk returns for up to 2 months, so you wouldn't be risking as much as if you bought them from Pangea. They (Footprints) are great to do business with.

Note that it takes up to a month to break in a pair of Birks to your foot/gait. They can even be a bit painful in the first week, so sometimes people have to start wearing them in intervals of hours and work they way up to a full day. But once there, they can be quite comfy. You can also have the arch, and toe grips, modified/reduced for your foot.

I do love the negative heel in the Earth shoes. I feel like it was the last thing my body needed for perfect alignment.

ETA: I suggest calling Footprints, 800.488.8316 (CST) to see what vegan shoes they have. Their online catalog isn't easy to search.

Last edited by Miso Vegan : 02-28-2006 at 01:26 AM.
Miso Vegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
mamaquilla
trying to just be

I am very sad to hear this
Old 02-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
mamaquilla
trying to just be

no fears oh birkenstock lovers, just talked to the guy at our local birkenstock store (mj feet) and birkenstock will have another non-leather altnative coming out march 15th !!!! \

thank goodness
Old 02-28-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
grog
lively up yourself

what!

and I just bought 2 pairs of black ones

maybe it was just a pangea marketting scheme :suspicious:
Old 02-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #10
bluedawg
reprazents

aw, man, now i feel like a jerk. sorry everyone if i sounded an alarm that doesn't belong here.
bluedawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #11
grog
lively up yourself

its ok, i hear black is back.

plus I ordered some shirts while I was at it.

but I agree with what pangea said, and what mamaquilla found out, its hard to get straight info out of birkenstock. i had issues last time I ordered some direct from them, since they were offering vegan ones on teh website that didn't exist anymore etc.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #12
Dandelion
look ma, no meat.

pulling a grog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
its ok, i hear black is back.
black is back all in we're gonna win checkit out, here we go again!
Dandelion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:07 PM   #13
grog
lively up yourself

teehee

Bring the noise.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:31 PM   #14
zatoichi
yakuza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedawg
aw, man, now i feel like a jerk. sorry everyone if i sounded an alarm that doesn't belong here.

i was going to say: too bad i'm so poor.

but now it's: good thing i'm so poor.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:49 PM   #15
mamaquilla
trying to just be

Z you so funny !