Vegan for me, vegetarian for everyone else. 7 6.93%
Meat included for guests. 5 4.95%
Other. 3 2.97%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
Oatmeal Girl
Queen of the Oatfields

Vegan Weddings

For those married folks out there- how did you incorporate veganism into your wedding? For the singles- how would you do so?

I'm not getting married I'm just curious.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:23 PM   #2
Lacykitten
Official Calgary Vegan

I would say all vegan.

I wouldn't advertise it as such, necessarily, but it would be all vegan, and so amazingly delicious that no one would even think to complain.

Besides, it's my special day, I should not need to be worried about providing dead animal carcasses to my guests. They should come to celebrate my day, not decide based on whether there would be meat/dairy served or not. If that was a deciding factor, they would not be the friends I thought they were.

eta: I have issues with tenses.. lol.. I hope that last part makes sense.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:50 PM   #3
Stitches
Pin Cushion Queen

Not married and not counting on it, but hell yes I would have a vegan wedding! If anyone doesn't like it, tough, it's my day and they can go visit the open bar if they don't want to eat the food.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
walrusd1978
goo goo g'joob

I'm not getting married, but hypothetically if I ever did (because the thought has crossed my mind) it would be completely vegan. In an issue of VegTimes magazine they showcased several vegan weddings, and the meals and cakes looked fabulous. I'm all for it. And what a way to outreach!
walrusd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:15 AM   #5
thecatspajamas
25 years in the making

It's a slight variation of the "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to" line of thinking. If I'm getting married, it's MY DAY DAMMIT. Everyone can go along and be happy for me and my wife, regardless of what's on their plate for ONE STINKING MEAL. Let them stop at McDonalds on the way home if they can't stomach food that's cruelty free and actually good for you.

Marriage is so far from my mind right now, that I probably won't have to worry about this for a while though.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
herbi
Reprazents

Yeah, I also have no immediate plans for marriage (so you can come down off the ceiling now, Dandelion... ) but I'd look at it the same way as any huge expensive fancy party I was throwing-- I'm damn sure gonna be able to eat whatever I want while I'm there (and I'm also damn sure not gonna pay for someone else's torture products), so vegan all the way. But delicious and fabulous and loved by all nevertheless-- cakes a plenty, and "accidentally vegan" stuff that won't freak guests out. And I would certainly accomodate a guest who had food allergies or needed some sort of even more restricted/specialized food, as long as that was also vegan.
herbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
misanthropy
meow!

Not married, don't plan on it, but if I were doing a wedding it would be ALL vegan (with vegan alternatives to soy or whatnot for those allergic to it).
misanthropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
Terry
I'm here

Ya' know ...

Vegan is good! That's what we seem to have yet to impress upon non-vegans. They seem to have gotten the impression that vegans wear hair-shirts and eat leaves.

I just bought "Sinfully Vegan" this weekend, and my plan is to make some of the recipes in it, and bring them to work (we have a grazing area).

That'll show 'em! :-)
Old 01-31-2005, 03:36 PM   #9
Alfiedog
Rooted

That cake is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

If I got married it would be absolutely vegan! It's MY wedding!
Alfiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:06 PM   #10
JasperKat
Make it work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
Vegan is good! That's what we seem to have yet to impress upon non-vegans. They seem to have gotten the impression that vegans wear hair-shirts and eat leaves.

Are you making fun of my hair shirt? Coz I happen to like it! What do you do with your old hair? Throw it out?

Dandelion, that cake looks amazing! I'm so jealous that you got to eat it! I can't imagine leaving a friend's wedding because I didn't like the food. Especially if it was my own fault for being stubborn. How incredibly rude.

-JK
JasperKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:48 PM   #11
petertheartist
Grounded

My Wife and I were maried in July, and it was all Vegan! Including the cake. I am lucky enough to live in New York, and had Kate's Joint cater it bufett style. The guests were shocked when the main course came out, they had filled up on the appetiser's while we were out having our photos taken. They loved that so much, that they thught it was the main course! You can't stress it enough, IT'S YOUR DAY DARN IT!!! Even my mother in law (who was paying for it) had to admit that! By the way, we went Vegan on the photos too, we found an all digital wedding photographer. He was so good, our non-veg friends ae checking him out for their weddings!
petertheartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:23 PM   #12
Dandelion
the internet will save us

I've seen SO many friends weddings start with great visions and end up getting stolen by their families. i chalk it up to something i can't understand since i've never been in that situation. maybe it's the money thing- families paying for it etc. I'd rather have a cheap courthouse wedding that's vegan rather than a sooper fancy non vegan one.
Ok, that and my house...those are the two situations i won't compromise on. i'm normally more laid back, really
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #13
FalafelsRule
Reprazents

If i am ever fortunate to get married, of course the wedding would be all vegan. It was also be non-religious, and non-formal (hopefully non-formal, that would be up to my partner).
FalafelsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:31 PM   #14
libertine
Live and let live.

Thumbs up

Well...I'm hoping to get married in about 5 years and I am already planning on having a full blown vegan meal, including cake. There are so many vegan bakeries on the Internet, I'm sure it will work out.
Alicia Silverstone got married recently and her entire set up was vegan. If she can do it, I can do it!
I'll send everyone an invitation, I promise.
libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:34 PM   #15
Dandelion
the internet will save us

all the food was quite delish. She smartly avoided mocked meats with the catering.

it was hard for me to not hold a grudge against the rude friends. i even supplied the DJ with a bunch of vinyl from the oldskool days so we could all dance and have fun after dinner. i danced alone. (kidding, i still had fun with those who stayed and danced up a storm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperKat
Dandelion, that cake looks amazing! I'm so jealous that you got to eat it! I can't imagine leaving a friend's wedding because I didn't like the food. Especially if it was my own fault for being stubborn. How incredibly rude.

-JK
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote