Vegan Represent Forums Calendar Web Links Photo Gallery

Go Back   Vegan Represent > Vegan Represent > Health and Body
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #61   ID#156547
GlassMoonAmy
Flowering

I think it's more than just the benzoyl peroxide...it's the way they combine the various "anti-acne" ingredients (the toner stuff, the exfoliating stuff, along with the BP). I had use benzoyl peroxide in the past as well, but none of them worked for me. It could just be the combination of exfoliating cleanser with the BP and toner...however since I've always broken out when I've tried getting off Proactiv and used other similar products, I'm a little gun shy to try again. Maybe some day!

Let me me know if you find some other combination that works for you!!
GlassMoonAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #62   ID#156563
kikkert
falling

I recommend Alba products. I have dry skin with hormonal breakouts and use the sea algae enzyme facial scrub daily and the deep mask weekly (and follow with a dab each of Jason's vitamin A & E moisturizer and tea tree aloe vera gel). After doing this since July my skin has become soft and smooth and nearly pimple free, even during hormonal swings of my cycles and major stress, for the first time in years. Other stuff I've used in the past had limited effects that seemed to fade after using the product for more than a month or 2, so I am quite pleased with Alba. It doesn't stink at all, and the mild smell it does have fades quickly. FYI.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #63   ID#156566
bird
numerous enough

Jason's tea tree aloe vera gel, thanks kikkert.

Still waiting to hear Miso's opinion on whether the Suki Lemongrass Exfoliating Cleanser has any impact on breakouts.
I don't blame any of us. We're all concerned, intelligent, good women. It's just that I feel stranded. And I thought the whole point was that we wouldn't feel stranded. I thought the point was we were all in this together.
bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:32 PM   #64   ID#156578
Miso Vegan
We park our cars in the same garage.

huh, missed that.

Yes. It works by nuetralizing the pH so that bacteria can't grow. So hormones are less relevant - you may have a bit of a breakout during hormonal fluctuations, but it'll be minimized.

You can use the Skin Gel I sent ya on your face - veeerrrrry light layer.
Miso Vegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #65   ID#156579
bird
numerous enough

Wow, the Suki definitely sounds worth it. Thanks, Miso! Wish I had cash so I could get some right away.
I don't blame any of us. We're all concerned, intelligent, good women. It's just that I feel stranded. And I thought the whole point was that we wouldn't feel stranded. I thought the point was we were all in this together.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #66   ID#156583
Miso Vegan

Oh, bird, I see your question now.

I responded in the other thread but I'll put a blurb about it here -
The suki lemongrass cleanser will reduce breakouts/acne by neutralizing the skin pH so that bacteria can't grow.
It would help to use one of the toners, too (for you, the blue chamomile one) but not necessary.
Suki cremes contain beeswax.

I have had many people say Proactiv worked for them. The ingredients scare me.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:40 PM   #67   ID#156584
bird
numerous enough

Blue chamomile... totally taking notes over here! Thanks as always, Miso!
Old 09-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #68   ID#156587
Miso Vegan

I wish I could give you samples.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:47 PM   #69   ID#156589
bird
numerous enough

Heh, that's ok. But when I get to Chicago everybody has to be nice to me and not say anything about my less-than-beatific skin, mmkay?
Old 09-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #70   ID#156656
bluedawg
tiny careful adventure fire

i used proactiv from may 1999 - june 2006, with pretty fantastic results. i went off it in june, but that's the long story i will tell (as soon as i get a chance) in the "ahhh my skin!" thread.
bluedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #71   ID#156657
grog
salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedawg
but that's the long story i will tell (as soon as i get a chance) in the "ahhh my skin!" thread.

you keep singing that song ya tease!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #72   ID#156659
grog
salty

BTW, once I stopped looking in a mirror everyday, my skin problems went away.

Umm, i may not have been on a date since, but I think my skin is great!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #73   ID#156666
bird
numerous enough

Ok, the Lemongrass Cleanser is $24.49, the Chamomile Serum is $25.29. I bought them both today because I'm really sick of the pimples (I've been popping them and then getting brown spots/scars from that... stupid ). I'll just have to skimp elsewhere in my budget in order to afford them. At least it's cheaper than Proactiv!

My question now is that it says on the package that I should not use any synthetic ingredients for two weeks to give this the optimal chance at working. My sunscreen definitely doesn't fall into that category, though, so I wanted to ask you, Miso, what your thoughts were on that? I've been very firmly led to believe (years of Paula Begoun reading) that we do, so I've tried to be very diligent about wearing it every day.

bluedawg, they had all 4 colors of Alba lotion bottles there. Now I don't remember which I sampled (I think turquoise) but it's moot since I'm in love with the new ShiKai borage stuff.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:34 PM   #74   ID#156679
Miso Vegan

Everyone needs to be exposed to sunlight to synthesize Vit D.

We have been told that we should avoid sun and many of us followed that advice strictly, to the detriment of our health, because now we're all suffering from a Vit D deficiency (a hormone necessary for most cellular function, mood, and skin health).

No one should go out and burn, but a little bit of sun every day (especially the amount you'd get going to and from work) is probably fine. If you burn easily, it'd be smarter to wear clothes that protect exposed skin than to use sunscreens (IMNSHO). Same if you're going to be out for long periods in direct sun. Being reasonable about it all is important - I mean, if go to the beach or spend all day at the park in the middle of summer, I'm going to wear sunscreen.

Vegans especially should take advantage of the sun's help in making Vit D.

As for the suki "prescription" to avoid synthetics - well, it's probably a good idea, but using sunscreen with suki is not going to make suki products not work, they just may not work as well. Suki also says you can expect a detox affect (skin worsens before it gets better), but not everyone experiences that.

So, sure, skip the sunscreen for 2 weeks - or go off it entirely. I'm kinda pissed off at what dermaologists have done to the sun's good reputation. Sun is not bad, burning is bad. Vegans who eat fairly well, that is have diets high in anti-oxidants, have an added benefit - it's the best sunscreen you can invest it.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:41 PM   #75   ID#156681
bird
numerous enough

If I put the ShiKai borage stuff over my face after using the Suki products, that would be considered synthetic ingredients, right?

Thanks for writing about the sunscreen stuff. I'll email you with more questions on that when I get a chance.

You should totally publish a "Miso's Top 10 Products" list or something, seriously. I trust your advice on this stuff more than anyone else's, and I'm sure lots of other people feel the same way.