Go Back   Vegan Represent > Vegan Represent > Health and Body
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2004, 06:55 PM   #1
matriarco
Reprazents

Vegan Makeup

So this is a question from my sister. She's a pretty new vegan and she has a huge weakness for makeup. She isn't willing to give it up altogether but she's having trouble finding cheap vegan alternatives. She's a poor college student who wears makeup a lot. I wasn't any help. I never wear it so I don't even really know brands. Any advice I can pass on?
matriarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
Artichoke47
Reprazents

www.veganstore.com

www.veganessentials.com

www.differentdaisy.com

www.veganunlimited.com

Those websites have vegan makeup.

I believe some Almay makeup is vegan, but you really have to check the ingredients. Different "popular" or mainstream companies sometimes don't test on animals, but a lot of times, the ingredients are suspect or obvious animal products. It's really worth it to invest in a vegan company, like Zuzu Luxe.

Are you thinking of going vegan yourself?
Artichoke47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
matriarco
Reprazents

I am vegan. I've been vegan for almost 7 years, but my sister just went vegan a few months ago. I know a few vegan makeup companies but she says they're all too expensive. So I just thought I'd ask and see if anyone here had more makeup knowledge.

Thanks for the links. I'll send them on to her. Hopefully she hasn't checked all those places yet.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
Artichoke47
Reprazents

Oh! Well how come we don't see you very often?

P.S. Doh! I should have known, considering you've already posted 19 other times. Hehe
Old 09-10-2004, 07:19 PM   #5
matriarco
Reprazents

I'm pretty new. But I'll try to post more so there isn't any confusion.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:00 AM   #6
Oatmeal Girl
Queen of the Oatfields

Revlon and Prestige don't test on animals...maybe she'd want to start with that?
Old 10-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #7
dropscone
It's too early in the morning!

I just went into a department store to check out their cosmetics and they were redoing the Beauty Without Cruelty section - all the packaging has been changed to nice contemporary matt silver, and they now have a big sign saying it's all suitable for vegans! YAY!

I just hope this doesn't tempt me to get my credit card out
Tonight We Fly - The Divine Comedy
dropscone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 06:19 PM   #8
dviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropscone
I just went into a department store to check out their cosmetics and they were redoing the Beauty Without Cruelty section - all the packaging has been changed to nice contemporary matt silver, and they now have a big sign saying it's all suitable for vegans! YAY!

I just hope this doesn't tempt me to get my credit card out

Wow, I wonder if any stores in the US sell their cosmetics in the store. I've only been able to find them online.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:05 AM   #9
pinkpunch
Seedling

Does anyone know of a waterproof mascara(that you can buy online)?
I don't wear much makeup(mainly cause i'm so bad at putting it on!!) but I like mascara though I hardly ever wear it cause I have habbit of rubbing my eyes all the time & smudged mascara isn't such a great look
pinkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 08:09 PM   #10
Artichoke47
Reprazents

I haven't seen a vegan waterproof mascara, PP.

I visited the Lush website and couldn't help but notice that items labeled as "vegan" had honey in them. An example: http://www2.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/...nd=00010:upd=y
Old 10-03-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
dviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpunch
Does anyone know of a waterproof mascara(that you can buy online)?
I don't wear much makeup(mainly cause i'm so bad at putting it on!!) but I like mascara though I hardly ever wear it cause I have habbit of rubbing my eyes all the time & smudged mascara isn't such a great look

On http://www.veganessentials.com/ they have a Zuzu Luxe mascara which is water-resistant. I don't know if this is exactly what you were looking for. Personally, I find the waterproof mascaras almost impossible to get off without eye makeup remover, so I tend to stay away from them. Water resistant seems like a good in-between.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:54 PM   #12
Artichoke47
Reprazents

I use the Zuzu Luxe one, but I take the wand out and wipe it off before applying. I think that's part of the reason why I don't have a problem with smears.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:45 PM   #13
dropscone
It's too early in the morning!

Hehe, since all the talk of makeup I've had a trememdous urge to adorn myself for some reason

Today I went into this great place in Leicester called Blink - it's a little gothy, glam-y boutique and they have a nice range of Stargazer stuff, which is (afaik) *all* vegan. So I got a golden eyeliner pencil for 99p (about $1.80?) and some pinky-gold lipgloss and sea-coloured glitter gel. Yay, I'm going to be all sparkly for the holiday season

Oh, and the best thing about the eyeliner is that it says in massive (well, as massive as you can get on an eyeliner pencil) letters along the side "cruelty free - vegan"
Tonight We Fly - The Divine Comedy

Last edited by dropscone : 11-12-2004 at 03:48 PM.
dropscone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:02 AM   #14
Emiloid
fluffball

Quote:
Oh, and the best thing about the eyeliner is that it says in massive (well, as massive as you can get on an eyeliner pencil) letters along the side "cruelty free - vegan"

Awsome! I love hearing that. Not only does it make things easy for vegans, but it might make other people think for a moment. At least it will remind them that veganism is an option... and they won't have to give up their favorite cosmetics!
Emiloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:05 PM   #15
magick nuts
Rooted

Quote:
Today I went into this great place in Leicester called Blink - it's a little gothy, glam-y boutique and they have a nice range of Stargazer stuff, which is (afaik) *all* vegan. So I got a golden eyeliner pencil for 99p (about $1.80?) and some pinky-gold lipgloss and sea-coloured glitter gel. Yay, I'm going to be all sparkly for the holiday season

Stargazer is vegan?!?! WAHOO!!! i never new and they always have such funky colours!! YAY!!

as for buying waterproof mascara: i got treated myself to the beauty without cruelty one - i bought it mail order from dr hadwens trust along with the most gorgous lipstip - silver rose - and i never liked pinks b4!! and about million other bit and pieces - i really did splash out!! but the best buys although not make up was the boxes of pecan parafiet (sp?!?) and the yummy coffee cremes uummmmm
magick nuts is offline   Reply With Quote